Rally Design universal CAD drawings

Anything else

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Rally Design universal CAD drawings

Postby bzrse7en » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Fellas
I have a set of Lotus 23 CAD drawings done by Rally Design universal.
Somewhere I also have some other CAD drawings by the same crowd for another car, so they have possibly produced several drawings.
Does anyone know the origins of Rally Design universal?

The L23 drawings look fairly good, although not sure how accurate they are. They have used some new componentry such as Sierra rear hubs, Fiat rack and column and the twin cam engine isn't ford - not sure what it is, but it has belt driven cams and a two piece sump.

I did a google search but didn't come up with anything.
Patrick
bzrse7en

Re: Rally Design universal CAD drawings

Postby nz_climber » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:19 pm

Sorry don't have anymore info to share..

Are the plans you have freely available? You willing to share them? Because I would be keen on a copy, but understand if you paid for them.

Looking foward to seeing work on the 23 when you get started. What sort of engine you thinking about putting in it?
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby bzrse7en » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:40 am

Hi Aaron
The CAD drawings are downloadable from the L23registry yahoo site.
As it turns out, they were drawn by a bloke who built a 23 in the UK. I'm trying to get hold of him, but have had no luck so far.
It isn't a bad drawing and quite detailed, but all the layers have somehow ended up on the same layer, so it will take a little while to clean it up and make sence of. One delema, I do need to buy a set of chassis drawings to verify the cad ones are accurate and correct! I'd hate to build from the CAD ones, then find the body dosn't fit, or the structure is compromised.
A set of copies of originals (5) is available for $60 US, so it isn't a problem. Another US bloke said he'd sell me his whole file of original drawings for US$2 each. That sounded great, till I realised he had more than 200 drawings and post was another $60US. I believe I won't need all drawings, there are 3 L23s in Ch-Ch, so should be able to have a look.

I'll be using a Tranny from an Audi A4
My engine choices so far in order of preferance are:
Audi 1.8T
3sgte
4agte 20v hybrid.
3sge.

The thing that worries me about the 1.8T is it's exotic-ness in NZ. It is an excellent engine and can easily make 300hp with std. internals. My thought was that even if it cost more to repair than a 3sgte, that cost would be offset by the cost of making an adapter for the 3sgte. So even stephens.

I had also considered the 4age 20v as in my Seven. But I figured 'in road trim' with that fibreglass body, it might end up at 650-700kgs. My seven is 600kg and I'd like more straight line performance.

I'd use Sierra rear brakes and hubs, as they use the same Lobro CVs as the Audi transaxle, there might be some other options.
I'd use Triumph frnt uprights as per the original. I have the A arm drawings already so would be easy to set up.

Patrick
bzrse7en

Postby Spyder » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:01 pm

There must be plenty of the 1.8T 20V engines in NZ now. Golfs, Passats, (some) Beetles, A3's, A4's all had them.

Surely some of those have ended up in the wreckers?
Spyder

Postby bzrse7en » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Yes, I have found a few - thou I don't need one yet.
My concern is the price of parts, if for example I need a gasket set, or a set of main brg. shells. I used to be a VW mechanic ages ago, the water cooled parts were always expensive, even an old shitty Mk1 1100cc Golf was considered exotic. Whereas a Toyota is as common as muck so there is always several parts suppliers to choose from and prices are reasonable. But as I said, this might be off-set by the need to not have an adapter made. I think that makes sence.
Anyway I am 95% sure it'll be a 1.8T.

Patrick
bzrse7en

Postby Rookie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

I think you will find otherwise Patrick, the misses has a mk2 golf gti and parts are no more expensive than any jap econo box of the same period. VW have really pulled their pricing into line.

Dave
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

Rookie
Paid Member

Postby nz_climber » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Ok nice one, never really thought of the Audi engine, I think there is one with the same engine being built in oz at the moment (pictures on ozclubbies)

If I ever get round to building one as a road car then I like the idea of a toyota 2GR-FE v6.
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby bzrse7en » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:54 pm

OK Rookie, that settles it then, VAG 1.8T it is.
I'll have to run a megasquirt or similar, as the OEM ECU won't work without all the other bits like dash etc. This is probably a good thing, as then it can be tuned straight off for mid 200s hp. Most are 195hp std . With rechipping the factory ECU more than 250hp is achievable, they need a bigger turbo for around 300hp and these turbos are on Trademe.

All I need now is money and space, both of which will be achieved when / if I sell my seven.
Patrick
bzrse7en

Return to General Tech