Anyone know the history of this Steelbros S4?

Full cars or Part projects for sale or wanted including those on Trademe.

(Please do not list car parts here as they will get deleted)

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Talkiet
Paid Member

Anyone know the history of this Steelbros S4?

Post by Talkiet » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:17 pm

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-c ... XkeDdMfa9o

Friend of mine is looking at it as a fun investment type thing. It looks very original and excellent condition to me. Any car specific history lurking out there? How tall would you need to be to not fit in an S4?

Cheers - N

Gollum

Re: Anyone know the history of this Steelbros S4?

Post by Gollum » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:32 pm

I don't know the history but it isn't as tidy as it appears in the photos. I went to look at it as I was thinking about exiting my black S4 for something a bit more practical. There's nothing major wrong but my expectations were high based on those photos. It has a few nicks and scrapes as well as a couple of star-cracks. The torsion bar between the rear 'ears' of the chassis needs to be replaced. No major, they all rust as they're glassed into a channel in the boot where any water accumulates. The wiring is a bit home-spun too. The salesman couldn't tell me anything about the engine's history or state of tune. It was on Trademe for (I think) $25k down in Christchurch before being withdrawn and almost immediately turning up in Auckland. If they bought it at asking and transported it up, they've probably got $26k in it so I'd start my negotiations from there.

Talkiet
Paid Member

Re: Anyone know the history of this Steelbros S4?

Post by Talkiet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Many thanks - that's useful info. There's a big disconnect in mileage (kmage?) between various sources. My friend was going to fly up and have a look before committing anyway but I'll pass on your specific -

Cheers - N