Wanganui, Mcsorely 442E / MX5

For keeping us up dated on your building of a Clubbie/Seven replica

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
User's Projects / Build Ups Forum Rules
This section of where you guys can show off the progress you make as your build comes together of your clubman, give details of any modification progress, share pictures etc. There are just a few rules that need to be followed for this forum to stay nice, clean and easy to use:

1. ONE thread per project please. You all have access to edit your own posts, so do that. You may post as many times as you feel like it within your allocated thread.
2. Only the person who owns the thread may post in it. Any others will be deleted. If you want to ask questions, comment or start a discussion, start a thread in the Project Discussion section or use the private message function.
3. You may not use your thread for anything else apart from showing off your car and it's build process, use the other forums for this.
4. Thread titles must be include your user name and a little about the project please.

Important : As this was a exsisting forum moved to its new home all exsisting build diarys will carry on as they are but by the new rules

Cheers Stephen
Wanganui7

Re: Wanganui, Mcsorely 442E / MX5

Post by Wanganui7 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Tidied a little more of the wiring this weekend but started going crosseyed after a while. So gave myself a rest . Fitted the half shafts, after a new coat of paint. Went to lock on the hub nuts and had the flange shatter . I had used the gas tourch on them to remove from donor car, must have made them brittle so have ordered a new pair from the UK. Price 11 UK pounds including postage. Takes about 1 1/2 weeks to get orders from UK. I had also brought some new braided brake lines. 4 days to arrive from Sinapore. With these in fitting diff is is next. Have scetched some drawings for end of brake line brackets . Will make at work during lunchtimes to keep my build progressing. Also have dropped off my rollbar for sandblasting and powdercoating, will be done by tuesday. Have measured the hard brake line lengths and will buy the 3/16 copper/ nickle tube from local brake shop but will do the bending and flaring myself to save money. Fitted the air intake. Usually the MX5 intake goes across the front of the motor, down the left side and sits over the header pipes. Think my way is lot neater and away from hot exhaust. As radiator is offset will get good airflow into intake.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:41 pm

So I see. Photos have been visable for weeks then disapear. Don't know whats going on.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Got the roll bar back from powdercoaters. Bolted onto chassis and fitted highstop light. Started on the hard brake lines.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:30 pm

Over the weekend fitted the dashboard with 5mm rivnuts then rivited on the front of the scuttle. Found a full set of wiring diagrams for my mx5 donor car on the net. Started with the simplist circuts first. Completed the altenator charging circut then fitted the window wiper motor ( mx5 ) donor and washer bottle and pump ( Bowers auto parts UK) reusing a rubber bulkhead gromet from the mx5 donor to run the wires up to the switch. Bowers have some very useful bits and I've also ordered some led lights. Coming from UK they are E4 marked so good for NZ to. Also replaced the interior mx5 fusebox with a through bulkhead waterproof one from China. Mounted infront of the instrument panel simplifies things and allows me to shorten many wires.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Been a bit slack lately with updates but been busy helping friend move house and have overseas guests. Life just gets in the way. Have spent the last three weeks working on the wiring and can now see light at the end of the tunnel. Just indicators and brake lights to go. Have been prepared to wait for parts to arrive from overseas to save money. For example a 40amp relay at local shop $27, from China ( free postage) $1.97. I've tried to keep the wiring as tidy as posible around the engine and am pleased with the result but still lots of tidying inside the consol.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 pm

Today bolted the diff and driveshaft in for the final time after mucking around to get a diff braket to fit. Had set the handbrake cables up using the standard mx5 ones but felt unhappy with the tight bend one of the cables went through. So took both cable into the local brake shop and had new ones made 200mm longer. Very pleased with result and should be trouble free. Started bolting on the rear guards today and drilled mounting holes for indcator lights (imported from UK) so I can complete wiring. Jobs for next week. Run the fuel tubing from tank to engine and fold the transmition tunnel covers.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Found some time this weekend to fit an overflow pan and drain to the fuel tank filler. Cut down an old aluminium pot from the kitchen and eventually found the correct rubber gasket for the Jaz fuel cell at Cardwells Auckland, $8. Someone is trying to sell them on trade-me for $6.80 + $41 postage. Fitted a couple of earth leads to stop any sparking from static electricity as recomended by Jaz tanks. Also fitted the radiator fan from the mx5 donor car to the alloy honda civc radiator l'd brought earlier. Turned out to be the perfect fit. Before filling it up with antifreeze thought I'd check the thermostate only to find it was missing! Quick trip to Supercheap fixed the problem. Have also sent an order to China for some PU leather to cover interior panels.

Last edited by Wanganui7 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Today got the front headlights working. I had tried a wiring diagram from the net using two relays. One for hi and one for low beam but it did my head in trying to connect it to the switch stalk. Went back to the origional MX5 single relay wiring and success. Folded the top for the transmission on the pressbrake at work and fitted the origional MX5 steering shaft rubber seal to the fire wall.Had an order for 5 meters of PU leather to cover seats and interior panels, arrive from China in only one week. Was origionally going to leave the interior alloy but figered after putting so much time building the car, night as well make it look nice.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:44 am

Been making some more progress past few weeks folding and fitting a peddle box cover. Just need some sort of rubber seal where the throttle cable exits the side. Also made a battery tray recessed into the firewall above passengers feet and started to cover some of the interior panels. Gone away from using the PU leather I ordered as it is impossible to get any folded wrinkles out . Am instead using a thin carpet commonly used on rear window parcel trays. Also have started tig welding the exhaust flanges on.

Wanganui7

Wanganui, Mcsorely 442E / MX5

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Clamped a length of 4 mm customwood along the passenger side as a template , measured off the edges to get dimensions for the side . Transfered to a sheet of 1.6 mm alloy and cut out with a grinder. Pre drilled the rivit holes around the edge before folding in our pressbrake at work. About three hours work for the one panel. Just an exhaust hole and a few others to be cut then is ready for powder coating. Also been working on the cocpit interior fitting panels and carpet plus the never ending job of tidying the wiring.

Also dropped in to the last CCC / MG track day at Manfield and looked at the vynal roofs on cars and got some idea of how they are constructed.