Picture size limits?

How to improve this forum

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Rookie
Paid Member

Picture size limits?

Post by Rookie » Mon May 02, 2011 10:53 am

I know a lot of other forums run size limits, so when you post up a pic that is massive then the forum automatically resizes it to a preset maximum. Could be an Idea? I know I get sick of resizing photos.

Dave
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

ibreadmore
Paid Member

Re: Picture size limits?

Post by ibreadmore » Tue May 03, 2011 7:14 pm

great idea. Can it be done easily?

Iain.
If you see the tree you are driving into, you have understeered. If you only hear it, you have oversteered....

1985 Chevron Classic - 1256cc Chevette engine
Sales Executive at Rotorua Hyundai - Come see me for your new car - (07) 348 2494

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Wed May 04, 2011 8:53 am

Yea it should just be a line of code in the config file.
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Wed May 04, 2011 2:15 pm

I have had a look through the board settings and cant find anything to do with image resizing, only settings for setting the maximum size of image allowed to be attached i.e 1024x768
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

ibreadmore
Paid Member

Post by ibreadmore » Thu May 05, 2011 10:01 am

I've noticed some users, 7ish and grumpy's pictures are attachments that you can click on to open, how is this done?
If you see the tree you are driving into, you have understeered. If you only hear it, you have oversteered....

1985 Chevron Classic - 1256cc Chevette engine
Sales Executive at Rotorua Hyundai - Come see me for your new car - (07) 348 2494

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Thu May 05, 2011 12:55 pm

ibreadmore wrote:I've noticed some users, 7ish and grumpy's pictures are attachments that you can click on to open, how is this done?

Iian when you write a post at the bottom there are 2 tabs Options & Upload Attachments its done there, but I dont want pics uploaded this way as they all take space on Heritics server and Im not sure what his limits are.

Im going to do a announcement soon that all pics must come from one of the FREE photo storage web servers like Imageshack or Photbucket and be linked this way as they then host the images not Heritics server, all this involves is the forum member uploading his pics to his Imageshack or Photobucket account using their bulk pic uploader and then using the links they provide for the image. Its all really easy and most accounts are FREE with 2gb of server space so more than enough room for the average Joe.

Stephen
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy » Fri May 06, 2011 3:55 am

It also help to limit the size of pictures attached. It upload faster, pictures in posts loads faster and kept the format of page width std.

The way I upload pictures are as follows;

I open my pictures in Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Then I click the "Edit Pictures" button on the top navigation bar, and a side tool bar appears vertically on the right of screen. Click "Compress Pictures" button under the heading of change picture size. The menu changes and then tag the "Web Pages" button, then OK and presto, the picture size is about 42kb - small enough not to clatter up the pages and uses little storage space.
Then click "File" on the top navigation bar and then "Save As" and save the picture to where it is convenient for later use such as uploading.
Simple and easy and you do not need fancy software for this. :)

Hope this is helpful.
my 2 cents worth
Wynand Image
A Scattering of Africa

Car: under construction
Webpage: http://5psi.net