Final advice for hiring a car to blat around the Nurburgring

Discuss any thing else here.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Talkiet
Paid Member

Final advice for hiring a car to blat around the Nurburgring

Post by Talkiet » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:23 am

Hi everyone… In a couple of weeks I head off to Italy for 3 weeks (shooting the World Ultimate Junior and World Ultimate Club Champs as it happens) and I have a week off in between the two tournaments.

I’ve decided I want to go and drive around the Nurburgring and I may have asked before, but curious as to anyone had any specific suggestions or warnings? I know it’s a public road so making sure the insurance is good, or going with a specific rental company is the way to go but what other traps am I going to find?

I’m probably going to go with this place (http://www.rsrnurburg.com/ )… They answered my emails quickly and helpfully. I think I’ll probably get a GT86, although the Exige 240 would be nice it’s lots more money… Well, about $500 more and it includes a lap of tuition (or babysitting, depending on your point of view!)

Any other places I should consider? Accommodation recommendations? There are a bunch of sites around that explain the experience but I figure someone here has probably done it themselves, or had a mate do it.

And yes, I am putting in a bunch of laps on the Sims to at least learn which way the various blind brows go! :-)

The tracks is open for only a couple of hours each evening – is that enough time for 4 laps? Are there generally queues to get on?

Oh, as a general car rental around Northern Italy/Switzerland/Germany I am looking at a Fiat 500 Abarth but it doesn't have aircon!!! It's the only model I have found that sounds fun and can be specifically reserved (ie. not "or similar").... I would hate to reserve a standard Fiat 500, get there and be handed keys to a Corolla. I have heard that rental companies in Italy are pretty terrible if you venture outsite Hertz / Avis / Europcar. Definitely value any suggestions on the topic of general rental cars (that I could then drive up to Germany)... I'm coming into Milan and not venturing any further south than that.

Cheers - N

ibreadmore
Paid Member

Re: Final advice for hiring a car to blat around the Nurburg

Post by ibreadmore » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:24 pm

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/prices.php

Not intending to scare you but DO NOT CRASH, whatever you do!

I met a lovely family in the UK who needed help to recover their sons car from the 'Ring after he crashed and I believe died, their total bill was in excess of $150,000 and he had no insurance cover. Any death closes the track for at least 24 hours and at $2000 an hour it soon adds up. They wanted to know how much his crashed M3 was worth with the intention of selling it to cover the outstanding charges.

The German authorities would not release his body or the car until the bill was paid.
If you see the tree you are driving into, you have understeered. If you only hear it, you have oversteered....

1985 Chevron Classic - 1256cc Chevette engine
Sales Executive at Rotorua Hyundai - Come see me for your new car - (07) 348 2494

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:03 pm

I had heard those horror stories. I am taking a few steps to hopefully avoid the pitfalls...

1) Don't crash (well obviously)
2) Hire a car from a specific ring rental place with clear excess and insurance info. (DON'T use your general rental car as most insurance will be null and void)
3) If you do crash, make sure you have evidence you weren't at fault. Although the circuit has at various times banned incar cameras, they are currently allowed so I'm taking a GoPro, maybe 2 (front and back)

I was specifically aware of the police intervention and track shutdown + recovery costs if you crash... Being able to prove it wasn't your fault (Better, prove it was someone elses) is a big deal to get out of that without too much pain.

It would be nice to have a nice simple "Pay an amount and these are your maximum liabilities" but that just doesn't exist for this like it does on lots of the experiences that use closed tracks...

Cheers - N

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi Neil,

We are just back from three weeks in northern Italy and Germany and over 3,500km under our wheels. I looked into rental cars and decided they were too expensive so went the lease way with Citroen. They give you a brand spanking new Citroen of your choosing for you to rack the ks up on. Because we were planning on covering a fair distance from north of Frankfurt down to La Spezia and a number of points in between, I chose a 1.6 HDi diesel C3. This was a seriously impressive small car and sat happily at 170kph on the autobahn, with the noise level such that Lady Bird and I could talk to each other without raised voices, a very unusual occurrence :roll: . Seriously the car was far better and more enjoyable to drive than I expected. If you want something more sporty choose the DS3 or DS4. They are all available for lease.

Effectively you own the vehicle for the period of the lease, it is fully and comprehensively insured for you and yours to drive, with a nil excess!! There is a catch - the minimum lease period is 21 days, but when I booked they were offering up to an additional 7 days for the 21 day price.

If you are interested contact Anne Piot of Citroen DriveEurope on CitroenDriveEurope@ateco.co.nz Anne was really helpful. We picked our car up at Frankfurt Airport and returned it at Milan Linate airport, but they also deliver/return from Milan Malpensa where you will be arriving most likely.

We have now used Citroen lease vehicles twice and thoroughly recommend them (did just on 10,000km in a Citroen BX 25 years ago on our big OE). Our latest car had a measly 12km on the clock when we picked it up, and as there is no such thing as a 1,500km check these days there is no scheduled maintenance to worry about until well over 10,000km, so for most leasees no maintenance costs.

This might not interest you if you had your heart set on a Fiat Cinquecento, but a DS3 would not be all bad.

Cheers
Grant

Just realised that none of this actually answers your query about blatting round the 'ring! :lol:

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Might be worth looking around on Pistonheads - found this with a quick search
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... mid=194638

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks for the advice guys... I have emailed Anne to find out about the price of the Citroen lease...

Based on the feedback on the Swifts I think I'll also probably abandon my GT86/Exige plans and just go for the Swift - seems to be really well regarded. I'll build a second day into my trip up there in case I absolutely have to try and get something cooler on the track :-)

Thanks - Neil G

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:55 am

Have you considered the train from Milan up to Germany? The trains in Europe and awesome and fast, then hire a car once you are there, might save yourself a lot of driving and get to spend more time at your destination before you have to return?

Also there is plenty of cool things to visit while in Italy and south of Milan. Monza is just a 15min train ride from Milan (not sure the dates you are going but the F1 in Italy is coming up soon) Also the ferarri museum in Modena is worth the trip. (if you are into that)

Some awesome roads through the lake areas up by milan but expect to be stuck behind slow vans and cyclists etc!

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:48 pm

Wow, the Citroen Lease is an amazing deal. It's a shame I really only need a car for 2 weeks, not three, and the fact that dropoff/pickup from Milan (MXP) adds about $900 to the price. If I was booking my travel now I'd fly in and out of France, get the free pickup/dropff and drive to and from Italy.

I just recalled my dad has used the same arrangement in the past and raved about it as well.

Looks like I'll end up hiring a Fiat 500 Abarth for about a week instead and a Swift at the Nurburgring. I thought about train, but I really want the ability to take a day or two to get up there and a day or 2 back.

Cheers - N

ibreadmore
Paid Member

Post by ibreadmore » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Spending a day in Maranello is an absolute must for any car fanatic.

There are literally hundreds of shops, memorabilia outlets and cafes that are dripping in Red.

You can stand on the over bridge at the Fiorana test track and hope something is on track. There are test cars running around town all day, when I was there the Enzo was under development and the CS360 was almost fully developed, saw both of them, nearly passed out with excitement.

The Ferrari Museum is AMAZING.

Standing outside the factory gates makes you tingle. It is awe inspiring.
If you see the tree you are driving into, you have understeered. If you only hear it, you have oversteered....

1985 Chevron Classic - 1256cc Chevette engine
Sales Executive at Rotorua Hyundai - Come see me for your new car - (07) 348 2494

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:41 pm

I think I'll have to do that then... thanks for the strong recommendation... I have booked a fiat 500 Abarth specifically now... No Aircon but I'll just wind down the windows I think and go faster.

Cheers - N