Top 5 NZ designed / made vehicles?

Discuss any thing else here.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Spyder
Posts: 351
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:44 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: Top 5 NZ designed / made vehicles?

Post by Spyder » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:22 pm

Not a car, but 2 of my uncles had "Mountain Goat" motorbikes a long time ago. Tractor tread tyres, mechanical disc brakes, leading arm front suspension. Can't remember who's engine/gearbox it was - Suzuki?

Not sure that they would rate in a Top 5 of anything either, but they were a good attempt to avoid the punitive import duties and do something relevant to local conditions (which in Frasertown/Wairoa area where quite tough).

User avatar
toppo
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:29 am
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand

Re: Top 5 NZ designed / made vehicles?

Post by toppo » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Kevind wrote:How many Sarasen's did David Dixion manufacture after he left Steel Bros? I've heard it was 35.
I heard and have read around 30 - 35. Ones in my garage. Have Patrick Harlow' s book its a good read
Last edited by toppo on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Birdman 7
Paid Member
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Ilam, Christchurch

Re: Top 5 NZ designed / made vehicles?

Post by Birdman 7 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:36 pm

What about the good old Christchurch designed and built Gnat. For those of you so young that you have never heard of these versatile (bloody slow) little workhorses, see the photo in the link below.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a50 ... acd534.jpg

I used one in the early 1970s along with some mates when we went tramping and hunting - even at 16 we were savvy enough to know that it was easier to use some mechanical technology to carry our packs and food into the hills, than to be mountain mules ourselves :lol: I especially remember to go in reverse you stopped the old Villiers engine and restarted it running backwards. That gave us four speeds in reverse the same as four speeds forward. These little beauties even had disc brakes.

These were around long before the quad bike was thought of.

User avatar
toppo
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:29 am
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand

Re: Top 5 NZ designed / made vehicles?

Post by toppo » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Spyder wrote:Not a car, but 2 of my uncles had "Mountain Goat" motorbikes a long time ago. Tractor tread tyres, mechanical disc brakes, leading arm front suspension. Can't remember who's engine/gearbox it was - Suzuki?

Not sure that they would rate in a Top 5 of anything either, but they were a good attempt to avoid the punitive import duties and do something relevant to local conditions (which in Frasertown/Wairoa area where quite tough).

My Dad has 2 mountain goats sitting in farm shed. He's adimant he is going to restore them but will never get around to it and won't part with them either :roll: .

Super7Alfa
Paid Member
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Riverton

Re: Top 5 NZ designed / made vehicles?

Post by Super7Alfa » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:21 pm

Birdman 7 wrote:What about the good old Christchurch designed and built Gnat. For those of you so young that you have never heard of these versatile (bloody slow) little workhorses, see the photo in the link below.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a50 ... acd534.jpg

I used one in the early 1970s along with some mates when we went tramping and hunting - even at 16 we were savvy enough to know that it was easier to use some mechanical technology to carry our packs and food into the hills, than to be mountain mules ourselves :lol: I especially remember to go in reverse you stopped the old Villiers engine and restarted it running backwards. That gave us four speeds in reverse the same as four speeds forward. These little beauties even had disc brakes.

These were around long before the quad bike was thought of.
Some pictures on page 1 of the thread too :D

bzrse7en
Posts: 1477
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: Rolleston Canterbury

Re: Top 5 NZ designed / made vehicles?

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:31 am

Heron was mentioned earlier, looks like they built a few cars up to about 2000.
http://www.heroncars.co.nz/template.php?p=content_cars

User avatar
Birdman 7
Paid Member
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Ilam, Christchurch

Re: Top 5 NZ designed / made vehicles?

Post by Birdman 7 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:44 pm

Super7Alfa wrote:Some pictures on page 1 of the thread too :D
Sorry, my computer jumped straight to the second page without opening page one after about the third post! Those are great photos of the Gnat. I had lots of fun in the one we used. :)

Super7Alfa
Paid Member
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Riverton

Re: Top 5 NZ designed / made vehicles?

Post by Super7Alfa » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Birdman 7 wrote:
Super7Alfa wrote:Some pictures on page 1 of the thread too :D
Sorry, my computer jumped straight to the second page without opening page one after about the third post! Those are great photos of the Gnat. I had lots of fun in the one we used. :)
Computers :roll:

They certainly look "fun" - I wouldn't want to go too fast in one :!:

User avatar
Birdman 7
Paid Member
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Ilam, Christchurch

Re: Top 5 NZ designed / made vehicles?

Post by Birdman 7 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Super7Alfa wrote:They certainly look "fun" - I wouldn't want to go too fast in one :!:
As far as I recall we could get to the heady speed of about 15mph, and that was fair flying. Normal speed was barely above walking pace. The balloon tyres meant it floated across rivers, but that in turn meant that the driver had to get off, get wet and walk on the downstream side to stop if from being washed downstream. All good unless said river was too deep or in flood. Notwithstanding these minor hassles it was hard to kill them, and they could almost climb a brick wall in low gear.

My vote is for the Gnat and the Trekka. Kiwis are flightless, so it follows that there should be no low flying in the vehicles we built in the past :lol: :lol:

Post Reply