Kiwibirkin in Aussie

Discuss any thing else here.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

7ish
Paid Member

Kiwibirkin in Aussie

Post by 7ish » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Spent a great weekend with Steve and Marg in Brisbane recently.... sadly his 7 is not getting the use it had here in NZ, as it's just too bloody hot to spend much time in it. He has, however, bought a Jeep, modified it for outback driving, and spends most weekends in the bush with a group of like - minded enthusiasts. He took us for a 20km journey up Birbie Island beach... great fun in the soft sand.

To keep up the driving, he has invested in a set of HTC VR googles, which I have to say, give a fabulous impression of speed and dynamics ( using Project Racing sim). A must have in the toy room, as a few laps round SPA in a formula one car was enough to take my breath away...

Great to catch up with Kiwibirkin in Aus.
7ish

Talkiet
Paid Member

Re: Kiwibirkin in Aussie

Post by Talkiet » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:28 am

I nearly bought a VR headset a few weeks ago on a whim for sim racing... I can't recall why I ended up not doing so.

Perhaps I will now :-)

Sad to hear the car isn't getting as much use as it's used to... perhaps a small aircon unit blowing cold air into the footwells is called for? :-)

Cheers - N

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:53 am

I have tried a driving sim with 3 large LCD monitors some time ago, but it was nothing compared to the VR headset for realism. A good set of pedals, wheel and a driving seat and you would be set.

Christmas is coming.....
7ish

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:58 am

I built this a while ago and it's still around...

Might need a new video card to drive current sims but other than that should be fine...

Was it the HTC VIVE you tried out?

Cheers - N

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:24 pm

yes, the HTC version... they have a new higher definition one due out soon...
7ish

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi guys

7ish tied the HTC Vive with a G25 wheel, he was put in a Lotus Seven on Ruapuna in Project Cars, as Ruapuna is quite a technical track we switched out to Spa as its a easier track to master when switching between cars in a sim game and longer to with nicer sweeping corners than Ruapuna (which is technically challenging), this gave Evan more time to enjoy the VR experience and understand what was going on, I have to say he took to the open cockpits pretty quick.

I brought the HTC Vive mainly for sims but also its the only VR headset that does room-scale so you get more game options with that style of play compared to the Oculas Rift which is a more seated down experience, Room Scale is the only way to go with VR its gives you the best of both worlds.

For anyone who's a gamer this is the current list of games I play daily on the HTC Vive

Dirt Rally (Pikes peak in VR and 900hp vehicles is unreal)
Project Cars (Ruapuna & Lotus 7s plus many more cars)
Asseta Corsa (Sim heaven)
DCS (modern war flight sims with A10s, F15C and more and a realistic study sim)
Aerofly FS2 (I put Evan in a A320 in this which he flies in real life, ill let him give his thoughts)

All the above have made the expensive purchase worth while, to pay in real life for the experinces im getting in VR would cost many times the price of the unit and PC :)

If you have never tried VR this is the holy grail for sim racing, the years ahead are going to be great.

Cheers Stephen (Kiwibirkin)
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:16 pm

Talkiet wrote:I nearly bought a VR headset a few weeks ago on a whim for sim racing... I can't recall why I ended up not doing so.

Perhaps I will now :-)

Sad to hear the car isn't getting as much use as it's used to... perhaps a small aircon unit blowing cold air into the footwells is called for? :-)

Cheers - N

It gets used just not for long trips, well through Summer anyways. the last 2 weeks I have driven it every day to work and back :)
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol: