Steelbro chassis numbers

Idle chat about any thing Sevens & Clubman cars.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Aussiesuper7

Steelbro chassis numbers

Post by Aussiesuper7 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi all, does anyone know where I can find out some information about Steelbro chassis numbers? My Super 7 has a Steelbro plate, with chassis number 8005 on it. I know they were generally in the 3000s range.
Thank you.

Wayne C

Re: Steelbro chassis numbers

Post by Wayne C » Sun May 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi Aussiesuper7,
Where are you?
I have a Steelbro 7, and two Lotus S4's in Australia including the first Big Valve produced. You are welcome to look at them at any time.
I did a bit of research into the Steelbro and Lotus numbers but the NZ boys have a better knowledge. Yes the numbers are all in the 3000 range to 3095 (95 total built) is my understanding (see article about the last Lotus Super 7). The Lotus numbers stop at 3238 so there is an overlap of chassis numbers but the Lotus ones have a different form.
I have communicated with people who purchased a S4 Caterham in kit form (from Caterham) and in that guise they were not issued a chassis number. Anyway Caterham numbers were different again and only 38 produced.
I also know of several cars produced in Australia as copies of the S4. I would suggest that Gollum is correct.
By any chance is your car white in colour?
Send me a message if you like.
Regards
Wayne

Aussiesuper7

Re: Steelbro chassis numbers

Post by Aussiesuper7 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi Wayne

Someone told me the last few Steelbro cars may have had chassis numbers starting with 8 instead of 3. The plate on my car states "Lotus Super 7/72" It has a genuine Lotus twin cam block.

My car is black with a yellow stripe.