A arm, to chrome, powdercoat or ceramic?

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

bzrse7en

A arm, to chrome, powdercoat or ceramic?

Post by bzrse7en » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi
I have decided to powder coat my chassis and am now pondering the suspension.
Chime in with your opinions, experiences and costs inured.
Original 23s had chrome plated A arms, I quite like the look of chrome, but there are a few who say it is problematic.
How about nickel plating?
Ceramic coating in a chrome finish? - Expensive?
Or plain old powder coating with a zinc powder undercoat.

Hmmmm, too many choices.
thanks in advance.
Patrick

McGregor Motorsport

Re: A arm, to chrome, powdercoat or ceramic?

Post by McGregor Motorsport » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi,

If you powder coat them at the same time as the chassis it will cost next to nothing.
You don't see them anyway unless body is off so it's the most economical way to do it.

Mark

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:05 pm

McGregor Motorsport wrote:Hi,

If you powder coat them at the same time as the chassis it will cost next to nothing.
You don't see them anyway unless body is off so it's the most economical way to do it.

Mark
You are quite right - as usual Mark.
Except the bit about not seeing the suspension. I reckon every other bloke will want me to open the body. Well, I'll want to open it and show them, whether they want to see it or not!
As you are aware chrome A arms are authentic on the 23 and at this stage I still want it authentic-ish. I know, I know the 23 never came out with a turbo either, or a German engine, we've had this discussion before!
Powder coating the A arms is my least preferred option at this stage but seems to be the least trouble and cost.

Ceramic coating looks to be about $50 an A arm, there are 12 suspension links, so up to $600 on the suspension, hmmmmm.
Chroming has it's drawbacks, does anyone know what the average cost is to chrome a set of A arms?
Patrick

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:16 am

I used Chch metal finishers to chrome my a arms... They were very cheap, I can't remember exactly how much, but it was cheaper than paint.
7ish

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:59 pm

7ish wrote:I used Chch metal finishers to chrome my a arms... They were very cheap, I can't remember exactly how much, but it was cheaper than paint.
Hmmm, most things seem cheaper than paint.
Thanks Evan, good to know.

Patrick

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:51 pm

I have decided to go for electroplated bright nickel, it's about $25 for a lower a arm.
Nickel seems to be the motorsport choice as chrome hides cracks and hydrogen embrittelment is a possibility - though unlikely on mild steel.
I was tempted by electroless nickel coating, but was twice the price with no real advantage.

McGregor Motorsport

Post by McGregor Motorsport » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:58 pm

bzrse7en wrote:I have decided to go for electroplated bright nickel, it's about $25 for a lower a arm.
Nickel seems to be the motorsport choice as chrome hides cracks and hydrogen embrittelment is a possibility - though unlikely on mild steel.
I was tempted by electroless nickel coating, but was twice the price with no real advantage.
That's F cheap ..... who is doing it?

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:43 pm

Pole electroplaters on Mowbray St, pretty much just around the corner from you!