Wiring

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Gollum

Wiring

Post by Gollum » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:18 pm

Some of the smoke came out of my Lucas wiring harness today. Does anybody know of a good auto-electrician in the Auckland area who isn't allergic to working on old cars?

scottie84

Re: Wiring

Post by scottie84 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:24 pm

Simms auto electrical in Penrose. Pop in and have a chat to Brian, he might be able to help you out. Or on the shore, I've had pretty good dealings in the past with Milford auto electrical on Barry's point road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:28 pm

Cheers. I'm on the Shore and you're the second person to recommend Milford Auto Electrical. I'll pop in and see them.

type37

Post by type37 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:04 pm

That is exactly as postulated by Joseph Lucas-check out http://www.electro-tech-online.com/thre ... as.138994/

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Most auto-electricians won't touch it - too hard and dirty. Looking at $3k for a total rewire from the one guy who would actually look at it and give a price. :shock: I suppose when you break it down by an hourly rate it's not unreasonable but it's still a big chunk of change to find!

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:53 am

Wow that is crazy! For that kind of money I would expect it done with a good power distribution module and mil spec connectors and wiring! Especially since it's carb's so nothing special in the engine department, just some lights really!

I guess most places can't deal with anything that requires a bit of thinking because they can't plug in the a computer to tell them what's wrong.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:31 am

From his reputation, it would be a very good job - he does a lot of hot rods and show cars. You're right though - it's hard finding someone who is prepared to look at either doing substantial repairs on an old harness or totally rewiring an old car. The more you ask around, the more people you find who are looking for an auto-electrician who will work on their car. I've lost count of the number of people who've said "if you find a good one let me know..." I reckon you could earn a decent living with a very low overhead - maybe I should retrain! Shame they don't support adult apprenticeships in NZ.

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:48 pm

I have a work mate who's an ex auto sparky, now teaching. Wouldn't go back to the trade for any amount of money. Mostly was sick of being expected to make a silk purse from dog $hit and charge peanuts for his efforts.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Yes it can be a tough job especially working on normal vehicles (engine transplants etc) ! Even worse when a few people have had a few goes before you get to it. Building a brand new loom is pretty easy though. And a lot more cost effective usually, you pay more for parts but save on labour and get a better result.

If can remove the harness from the car, if you would like you can send it down and I can make a new loom for a lot less than $3k. PM me if you want to know more.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:45 pm

Many thanks for that kind offer. There are a couple of parts of the loom that have been chopped out though so it probably needs to be done in situ to find out what is missing etc. It it was a complete loom I would have been tempted to try putting it on a peg-board and replicating it. It probably would have ended in disaster though - I'm long on enthusiasm but short on aptitude!