Wiring

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Gollum

Re: Wiring

Post by Gollum » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:09 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Just popped into the garage to check if I have the coil wired correctly - of course I do, that would be an embarrassing mistake - phew! Um, where is the HT lead from the coil to the distributor? Hahahahaha, what a knob. Hopefully it all fires into action tomorrow.

type37

Post by type37 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:40 am

Now that's willpower!!!!!! I would have connected the lead and tried it then and there otherwise I would have lay awake all night wondering.

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:34 am

type37 wrote:Now that's willpower!!!!!! I would have connected the lead and tried it then and there otherwise I would have lay awake all night wondering.
It's very loud and under the house, I'd have been walking with a limp well into the New Year if I'd started it at that time of night.....

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Did it go?
7ish

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:15 pm

No. I checked the plugs after a fair bit of cranking and pumping the throttle - they were dry, so no fuel. It tried to fire on the petrol I cleaned the plugs on though. I've had to jury-rig the fuel pump with a longer cable so I think I'm getting too much voltage-drop for it to work properly. I was going to have a go at it yesterday afternoon or today but I've been doing other stuff to tidy the car and garage up and also doing the family Christmas thing. I'll have a crack over the next couple of days.

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:51 am

What sort of fuel pump do you have? You should be able to hear it running with the ign on..... I would doubt that it is a voltage drop problem as it should fill the float bowls before you try to crank it.
7ish

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:27 pm

It lives! I applied gasoline to the tank.... :oops: I assume what was in there has evaporated over the past few months - there wouldn't have been more than a couple of litres...

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Nice, good to hear you got it going! What a great Christmas present!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi guys. Still pressing on but very slowly due to all the family commitments over Christmas. I've had a few issues with finding switches that will fit and needing a new front indicator base. All of which are now on their way from the UK.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around the Hazard lights. I want my indicators to only work when the ignition is on but the hazards need to work with the ignition is off. Looking at some of the diagrams has done my head in so I'm thinking of a much simpler solution but there are a couple of potential issues. I am thinking of separately wiring in another flasher to the 'hot' fusebox and simply connecting the hazard switch to where the indicator wires come together on each side. Most of what I've read says not to do this as the current feeds back into other accessories from the 'ign' feed and you end up with your gauge lights etc flashing. However, my indicators will be on their own circuit so this shouldn't be an issue. Do I still need to worry about current going back up into the indicator switch and then back into the 'ign' fusebox via the indicator flasher? If so, should I just put some diodes either in the indicator switch wires or perhaps in the flasher power feed? Getting a bit more complicated but I could put a normally closed relay in the ign feed and have it opened when the hazards come on, breaking the circuit. Any feedback, suggestions or better solutions welcome - the simpler the better! Cheers.

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:14 pm

A couple of diodes would be pretty simple, cheap as chips and no moving parts. Can be a little hard to mount sensibly though.
In line with the wire under some heatshrink is easy, but it may be overlooked during a modification later, and solder joints on flexible wiring may not last inside a vibrating car.

Of course the backfeed issue should only present itself when the indicator switch is turned on also.
I've been spoiled by the standard mazda binnacle with its combination switch assembly...