Lack of High Beam

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Re: Lack of High Beam

Post by Birdman 7 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 pm

Right, mucho embarrassment saved. The bulbs are both ok - phew!

So it is clearly a problem between battery and bulb. I did effectively swap the fuses round when I removed them all and then slowly reinstalled them carefully to ensure a clean and proper connection. To be fair they were so tight to remove and reinsert that it is unlikely to have been a connection problem anyway, and all spades were clean and clear of corrosion.

Thanks Aaron, Robert has offered to come and have a look at the problem for me, and given that he made the wiring loom, hopefully he will be able to work some magic. However I am also heartened by the fact that a WoF does not require high beam. I was thinking that this was a WoFable issue that effectively meant the car was not meant to be on the road.

My suspicion is that the fault is in the indicator light/dip switch behind the steering wheel, but before pulling this apart I thought I would seek some expert guidance from you guys.

speleo
Paid Member

Post by speleo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Just a thought, if you have a high beam warning light, (also not a mandatory item), you will be able to see if the switch is actually switching, turn on the lights and switch to high beam, if the warning lights up the problem is between the switch and the bulb.

Bob

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:11 pm

Thanks Bob. I forgot to say that the high beam light on the dash was also out but that when you flash the headlights the high beams come on as does the dash high beam warning light. Anyhow Robert came and had a look today and also thinks it is a duff switch as everything points to the switch on the indicator stalk. The lights all work on flash (different switch) so can't be the wiring to the lights, and the low beam lights work perfectly. He is sourcing a new switch unit from a wrecker and we trust that this will rectify the matter.

Who would have thought that Mazda would make a switch unit that wouldn't last the life of a second car! :o

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:53 pm

Not sure if the mazda used relays for headlights though? I know the contacts are pretty small and most likely black from carbon.

I know mine where when I pulled it apart and gave it a clean when I was building my car and having seen the contacts made me decide to use relays to prolong it's life. Not hard to pull it apart once it is out of the car. Glad you found the issue.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk