Tyre temp monitors

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

nz_climber
Paid Member

Re: Tyre temp monitors

Post by nz_climber » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks for that, looks like a really useful service. Look forward to trying it out when I get home in a few days

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:31 pm

That's the first attempt on track, in fact the first attempt with wheels on the ground! I included the warmup lap as this was about seeing what the tyre and brake temps did... The lap starts at about 5:30 in... The GPS was also dropping out a bit but refuses to do it on the damn bench :-(

Also for the hell of it...

Only near spin of the day, with gopro on helmet for a new perspective...

And finally, my last run of the day had my fastest two laps 1:41.44 and 1:41.6x so I left happy... That was with a huge headwind down the front straight as well - my terminal speed was only about 165k(!!!!) compared to about 180 normally so I am thrilled with the times..

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Looking really good, hopefully all that data will enable you to improve those times even more. Really motivates me to get on to my dash project. I should start a build on here, I have most things work on the desk, just need to start combing them and get it working on the car! The GPS module turned up yesterday so now to get that working.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Yeah, I'm really motivated... Unfortunately I am so motivated I might end up redesigning the whole thing to use a 16x4 IR array sensor instead of 3 single point sensors, and convert everything into Canbus on the sensor instead of mucking around with i2C to a central brain. SOmeone else has done exactly the same thing (izze racing) and they have done it really well from what I can see. I am definitely re-inventing the wheel here, but it's the process I like.

I'm also going to look into BLE tyre pressure sensors and ride height sensors (will allow hyper accurate dive/roll measurements)...

I have also had it pointed out that the front left sensors are flipped left to right, so the inside is the outside and vice versa. The temps look much nicer when I realised that!

Another thing I am looking at is adding a live telemetry module for remote viewing ... Because I can, not because I need it :-)

I also have to admit the idea of publishing position, heading and speed could make for a _SERIOUSLY_ awesome automated drone video system... The drone and camera would know where you are and what speed you are doing.... It could come down and hover in front of you before pulling up at the right time, it could track you and take shortcuts across the corners to keep up...

Cheers -N

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 am

Yes it is the process I enjoy too, and yes the sky is the limit to what you can really do with the cheap processors and sensors available these days. The hard part is going from a concept that works on a desk or cable tied in the car to include mounting hardware, packaging and a seemless user interface etc, which is why some of the products available to buy are so expensive.

Pressure sensors would be a good addition, would personally use a sensors on the shocks over ride height sensors as you can log compression and extension etc, but that is getting way beyond my race engineering skills.

Will do a bit of a write up on my plans in a separate topic.

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 am

Spent a few hours at the weekend making a proper screen mount for the tyre temp monitor. I changed it on the fly to have a button for logging on/off and some status LEDs. Very happy with how it turned out but the mount is so rock solid I think I'll make the case thicker and mount all the components in there as well in the next iteration...

Bigger photos here: http://www.nzsnaps.com/Cars/CSdata/

Cheers - N

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:02 pm

Extermely boring update video but with lots of behind the scenes progress.

- Upgraded ECU to latest FW to get CAN bus broadcasting
- Added CANH/CANL connector to ECU
- Have CAN logging working to Arduino app (And tyre/brake temps, and GPS stuff to same app)
- Refactored code to all work a LOT faster and more predictably (better SD card use, better GPS parsing, upgrade to 10Hz GPS, add lap timing into display unit instead of only on overlays)

I'm really happy with the CANbus reading and logging. That by itself opens up a huge set of opportunities for a flasher Dash. If I wanted to for example I could put a professional dash in and feed that from the Megasquirt, and feed in tyre temps from my app over CANbus as well.

Now I have to:
- get front temps working again properly
- add brake sensor or brake pressure sensor
- add track temp sensor
- integrate graphical display when it arrives
- mount rear temp sensors in guards
- Go to track.

Cheers - N

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Very nice, you are making much quicker progress than me! I have barely looked at mine since I last posted.

I have so many questions. Are you use the tiny gps library? Also how are you calculating laptimes in the unit? Also what program are you using for the video?

Having can for all the engine info sure would be handy, all my inputs including speed, pressures, temperatures and tacho have to be calculated

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 pm

nz_climber wrote:Very nice, you are making much quicker progress than me! I have barely looked at mine since I last posted.

I have so many questions. Are you use the tiny gps library? Also how are you calculating laptimes in the unit? Also what program are you using for the video?

Having can for all the engine info sure would be handy, all my inputs including speed, pressures, temperatures and tacho have to be calculated

I have spent the last couple of days integrating a better GPS and lap bit of software called DAWA ( https://github.com/quichedood/DAWA ) although it wouldn't be recognisable anymore. I am using the NeoGPS library at 10Hz/115k.

The DAWA software includes rudimentary built in lap timing (which works) but the software I am using (Dashware) has it's own lap timing as well based on a start/finish line and a running time counter in the logfile. (You have to configure the format of the logfile - Dashware is amazing - You can define ANY input)

Unfortunately the Megasquirt 2 doesn't have a VSS input for a speed sensor, so there's basically no way of getting speed into it (unless you build an external speed circuit and feed the speed back into the MS via a couple of possible convoluted methods - neither of which is worth it. I pull speed from the GPS. (MS3 does have VSS)

Pretty sure my HMI TFT should be here in a couple of days so I can play with getting that nice then ordering the big bright sunlight capable one.

At the moment though I am trying to figure out what dodgy Chinese CNC machine to buy :-)

Cheers - N

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks for sharing will check out dashware and that GitHub page.

I am using Neogps too seems to work well so far, haven't gone through to optimize it yet but works well with only rmc message, although I might try using the ublox binary format for a bit of extra performance. What did you have to change in it?

I am going to try my hand at pcb's too but not cnc was just going to mill some simple ones by hand for inputs to my dash (voltage dividers from 14v to 3.3v etc

Thanks for sharing