Tyre temp monitors

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Talkiet
Paid Member

Re: Tyre temp monitors

Post by Talkiet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:53 pm

My first iteration used Ublox binary messages on a Mega with a GPS sheild, but I have bought another 5-6 "Ublox" GPS units since of various sizes and specs and they are all counterfeit. Only one of them supports UBX properly. I am using NeoGPS in pretty close to the default format but with everything turned off except RMC (and maybe one other)... It's also configured for 115k and 10Hz.

I think the GPS config from DAWA was one of the things I lifted pretty much intact - I also had my GPS configured at runtime previously but his methods are nicer.

Now that I have some of the data in the car I need to find out what's available in the ECU and what's not. I suspect things like the oil pressure at least don't currently go near the ECU so I'll never see them on CAN. I may end up building a complete standalone CAN augment box which grabs whatever it needs from digital and analog inputs and spits out it's own CAN messages with the new data. (Oil pressure, brake pressure are the obvious ones - although it's quite a bit of duplication of the tyre temp box I have at the moment. Not sure how much to compartmentalise.

Of course once I go that far I may as well look into individual wheel speed sensors to do traction control at least and warn of under-rotation :-)

I've also just ordered some digital LED strips - I think you also mentioned those. Perfect for a rev counter/shiftlight combo above a dash.

Cheers - N

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:19 pm

Yeah not sure my gps was advertised as ublox so will see if it works, but it responded to the ublox config messages as it seems remembers all the settings so no config required in the sketch which is easy,(might be a battery hiding under the module) also running at 115k 1hz for on the road to give time then 10hz when at the track (can go up to 18hz if wanted) but at 10hz can use GPS and glonass.

I have an 8 led strip for shift lights and warning lights (using the fastled library) will use the 4 centre for shift, 2 outside for indicators and the 2 remaining for warnings.

For speed I am using an interrupt to pick up signal from gearbox which increments a counter then calculate the speed everything half a second and record pulses for the odometer.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 am

New screen looks good. Very similar to mine.

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 am

nz_climber wrote:New screen looks good. Very similar to mine.

To be fair, that's the lighting :-) My one is a very cheap 3.5" that won't hold up in the sun at all. Did you buy yours direct from 4D? How long did it take to arrive? Based on how good this one is,I think I will push ahead with a proper digital dash based on the 4D. I'm going to make the screen a standalone component with screen, a few buttons and an ultrabright RGB LED array across the top of the screen for RPM, shift light, emergency alert (oil pressure etc). Compartmentalising the screen means I can finish one part of the project (hah!)

Out of interest, does the 4D software support proportional fonts? The basic Nextion stuff only supports fixed width fonts and I have just realised that a LOT of cheap electronics I buy only has fixed width support (or is printed with proportional fonts in fixed width mode!) and it makes things look awfully cheap.

Cheers - N

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:23 am

New screen after a couple of hours playing...

Was going to make a case and get it on the car today but have actual car related stuff to sort first :-)

Cheers - N

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:49 am

I brought directly from 4d. Only took about a week for mine to arrive, Unsure about the proportional fonts though. I am keep my shift lights separate to the display and mounting them above the steering wheel to make them easily visable. Also have a mini joystick that I will use for navigating the display because I didn't get touch screen for various reasons.

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 pm

Getting soo soo soooo close now. I have a 7" (cheap) display on the way and a new visual design, buta lot of the stuff is now working well...

- temp sensors are mounted at all 4 corners (brake sensors only on the fronts at the moment)
- 3d printed dash holder in place and case for 7" display designed (just have to wait for more black filament to print out a final copy)
- Ultrabright LED Tacho all working and integrated into code.
- All CAN bus and non CAN bus data I want is working (CAN bus for RPM, TPS, AFR, voltage, coolant temp; analog inputs for Oil pressure, fuel level, oil pressure)
- Removed analog dial for tach

Mockup of the new screen looks like this...

7" screen MIGHT arrive this week before sprints on Sunday... If so, it's only a few minutes or so to confirm it will fit, then overnight to print the case and then maybe an hour to move the parts over.

Cheers - N

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Good progress, screen is looking good, so much data to look at!

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:26 am

Great test day yesterday. Had a few small issues...

- Front right tyre temp sensor made a break for freedom. (It was only Ziptied on - WHoops!)
- A few unexplained reboots / possible lockups of the unit - I think power related so have a new power regulator coming and will power from a dedicated battery to isolate.
- Screen is terrible. Just visible on an overcast day with a shade. Several options to fix being considered.

Those downsides apart - it's great.
- The laptiming in the unit is SOLID but there's no delta times yet (The delta times below are from Dashware and done in post processing).
- The tyre temps are readable but I will make a dedicated config for warmup laps with just the temps.
- Being able to see throttle and brake on the overlay is nice.
- The LED shift lights (obscured by the shade) are great and showed me 2 places where I was needlessly shifting up to 4th that I shouldn't be.

Still to do:
- The screen obscures the oil warning light on the dash. While I have that data on the screen I think I'll relocate the oil light so it's still visible
- Get the good daylight screen!
- Pot the wheel temp sensors and test IR transparent film over the sensors. If that works I'll be able to make them 100% waterproof (immersion safe) and it will 100% protect from vibration etc.

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:46 am

Just ordered the 7" Sunlight readable Resistive touch bundle from 4D systems. Has more benefits than I first thought. I can add buttons and LEDs to the display and have them controlled from the screen via commands from the Teensy (Arduino). That makes cabling neater and allows for a lot more functionality on the display unit itself, and I will be able to stick to a 4 pin connector...

Cheers - N