bzrse7en Lotus 23 project

Use this forum to openly discuss anything you would like regarding the project cars in the build diary's

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
* Edit post
* Delete post
* Report this post
* Information

Forum Rules. EVERYONE MUST READ BEFORE VIEWING OR POSTING

Postby KiwiBirkin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:10 pm
Poject Discussion Forum Rules
This is a new section of where you guys can discuss other users cars. There are just a few rules that need to be followed for this forum to stay nice, clean and easy to use:

1. ONE thread per car. Search the forum for an existing thread before starting your own, things stay tidy that way.
2. Try and stay on topic if you can.
3. Thread titles must be in this format: Username's and the car project

I have created this section so it keeps the build diarys clean and allows the builder of the car to keep us updated a bit like a BLOG so please use this section to disscuss the builders cars and we should see a much easier forum to navigate.
bzrse7en

Re: bzrse7en Lotus 23 project

Post by bzrse7en » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:37 pm

Not-a-Number wrote:
bzrse7en wrote:Thanks Steve There is still plenty of development needed in the 23 before I move onto another distraction. I have built an English wheel and a few other body forming tools, so next project might be hand making an alloy body for something - maybe.
Bugatti T59! You build 2 and I'll swap you an engine for one. :D
Hmmmmmmmmmm, that is an interesting idea. I love the shape of 59, I had a revell model kit of one as a kid and built a rough pedal car 59 for my son about 10 years ago.

steveb

Post by steveb » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:21 am

hi Patrick,
with regard to rear engine cars, have you been able to get your 23 on a set of scales to check the corner weights, with and without the driver etc. How does it feel, handle? compared to your seven?
did your build it to cruise, race, hillclimb, sprint etc?
Any chance of some video footage of the 23 in action? ("video footage", showing my age!)
cheers steveb

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:22 am

you'll have to wait quite a while for video footage. Not sure what it would show you, other than from drivers perspective on a track.
No, not corner weighted yet.
It has only done 550 miles and of course the oil pressure issue meant I didn't to get too far from home.
On normal roads it's hard to gauge handling well, but seems to understeer when pushed into corners and the understeer comes in as the turbo spikes at low-ish revs. This is why I want a bigger turbo, so it is more linear.

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:26 am

bzrse7en wrote:
Not-a-Number wrote:
bzrse7en wrote:Thanks Steve There is still plenty of development needed in the 23 before I move onto another distraction. I have built an English wheel and a few other body forming tools, so next project might be hand making an alloy body for something - maybe.
Bugatti T59! You build 2 and I'll swap you an engine for one. :D
Hmmmmmmmmmm, that is an interesting idea. I love the shape of 59, I had a revell model kit of one as a kid and built a rough pedal car 59 for my son about 10 years ago.

Well there you go. It was meant to be! :D

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:50 pm

From Steveb...
hi Patrick, An off topic question.
Your previous seven, what chassis design is it?
i have put the question to talkiet, and he suggested to ask you.
Your new intake looks great, it's good to see people making parts,
too many skills are disappearing from "engineering".

The chassis was a book chassis, straight out of the Ron Campion Hains book, but with a few additions. No 2 cars are the same, so it isn't unusual. I used some of the Ozzy mods ideas to stiffen the frame as well as found a published theses on the net involving improving the frame, a great deal of the ideas were the same. The IRS was based around a Birkin IRS someone had CAD'd up, but I still mucked around with it somewhat.
You are right about skills. But it is down to attitude to give it a go, not necessarily having skills in the first place.

steveb

Post by steveb » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:17 pm

ok, yes still off topic.. did you have any issue when submitting "altered plans" for you seven build?
I am wanting to build a wide track set up, loosely based around a "book chassis".
thanks.

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:53 am

No, not at all. LVVTA tech committee are pretty good. As long as your submission looks right and is presented clearly, you won't have a problem. And I submitted the 7 plans after I had built the bulk of it. Infact I think I only had to do a front end approval back then. The 23 plans were submitted before, as I wasn't sure if they'd be happy with a Le mans racer on the road. They will be looking at material choices, fasteners, unmodified OEM parts and obvious defects like missing diagonals and suspension which does'nt look right. With anything they don't like, they will suggest alternatives. They won't do anything technical like stess analysis or dynamically model your suspension. If the numbers (fasteners and material choices) add up and the thing looks right - she'll be right!

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:53 am

Looking good Patrick..... colour scheme looks familiar, can't quite place it!!

Cheers.
Evan
7ish

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Hmmm, yes, never thought of you as a setter of trends, look at the link, this guy has borrowed your design too :o
http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/103 ... 20inline-4

Thanks for the positive comments Evan, did you buff your clear coat? If so, did you do it with a machine or hand?

steveb

Post by steveb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:17 pm

look, the cars look great. a bit fresher than B.R green.
looking at the link above, an original spec car was very basic. the modern engine and all it's life support system make it easier to tinker with,
but add weight and complexity to the whole car. still i wouldn't give up fuel injection and turbos, not that there is anything wrong with cams and trumpet's.

Worked on a new Massey Ferguson tractor today and it is full of electronics, oh and mud! progress is coming, just saying...
(NO i don't want a tractor, digger.. yes!)