Ladybird's McGregor Mach 7

Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

7ish
Paid Member

Re: Ladybird's McGregor Mach 7

Post by 7ish » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:59 am

I was going to use some 1.2mm stainless as a sump guard.... It is very strong and will tend to lift the car over any lumps, rather than catch on the sharp edge of the sump...
7ish

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:11 pm

Yep, Mark is going to lift the motor and we will have the bonnet bulge created by a craftman. Then a bash plate of some sort. Evan that 1.2mm stainless sounds good but I wonder if it is thick enough. At the end of the day it will be sacrificial and should be easy and cheap to replace, but I don't want to be replacing it too often!

Aaron as for tyre size I have 195x55x15 Hankooks on the front. I couldn't find the rolling diameter of these tyres on the Hankook website though. As an aside I am pretty impressed with these tyres for general road use, and have found they give excellent traction and grip. And all for $125 each.

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:49 pm

We have a 3mm sheet of Ali running under out sump. Seems to work great taking all the knocks. I did notice we were hitting the ground more in recent times, and worked out the car was about 10mm lower in the front than when we began. Turns out the springs had settled some what, so raised it up again by adjusting the springs, as opposed to the pushrods.

It is amazing what 10mm does, we don't hit to often at all now.

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:57 pm

Well it has been a while since my last post. Nothing much to report other than getting a few k's under the mudguards, although so far this summer the usage has been a bit thin due to family commitments.

Ladybird's 7 failed its first WOF last Saturday. No brake lights :o . Would you believe it? Well my daughter did. She told me when I got home that they hadn't been working for nearly a year, but she had forgotten to tell me! :oops: She just thought I was using engine braking every time I pulled up to an intersection. :roll: There was also a small leak from the brake light switch so that is where the problem was presumed to be located. This proved to be the case when Mark at McGregors checked it out. The other thing was that the front brakes did not offer much braking power on the test - it did not fail on this but the fronts had a lot less oomph (drag? - whatever) than the rear drums.

So while at McGregors I had these things checked as well. One set of cooked brake pads were removed (have no idea how that happened but probably dates back to when the car first went on the road and the front brakes were binding on) and replaced, a new brake light switch installed and everything bled and checked. I have yet to test drive but I expect this will make a huge difference.

While there Mark is going to fit an ali skid plate he has made up for SR20 engined cars (he has since redesigned the chassis and front suspension to overcome the height of SR20s). (Edit: Skid plate will actually be 3mm stainless as the ali didn't fit.) This will lower the ground clearance a bit, but give me heaps more comfort when driving around dodgy Christchurch roads. Just getting to McGregor's front door at the moment requires 4WD experience :lol:. Also going to do away with the spare - much to the disgust of Ladybird who thinks her 7 looks much cuter with it on the back. In fact have been outvoted on this by all three women in the house :roll: :roll: . Will have to face the music when the car gets home. Might even have to refit it ;) . Depends on whether services are withdrawn or not :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 pm

Well Ladybird's 7 is back where she belongs - in our garage. The 3mm stainless skid plate looks solid enough to land a Hercules on the ice with, so it should act as good protection for the sump. It will be back to the WOF shop tomorrow to finalise that, and then out on the road on Sunday. Unfortunately we cannot make the Southern Lotus Register run to French Farm due to other commitments, but we will get some wheel time all the same.

Mark has also replaced the rear gearbox oil seal as it was weaping. Fortunately this could be done without removing the gearbox from the vehicle. Oil is cheap but it is better inside the gearbox than all over the underside of the car.

Also pleased to report that in the week since delivering the car to McGregor's, SCIRT has managed to fill most of the large holes in the road and actually reseal them so that access is now 7 friendly. I am sure the boys will be very pleased when all road works in the area are finally completed. I will have to thoroughly clean the car tomorrow to remove all the dust it has swallowed. :)

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:12 pm

When a friend with an old Fiat 124 sport suggested a coffee, it was hard not to head out to Oxford, the long way. Heading along the section between Ashley gorge and Oxford we managed to christen the new skid plate - five times!! But on checking when home only a few scratches and no damage. Phew. It works. Ladybird does not like the noise it makes which is quite a lot louder than the sump making contact, but I am happy to hear that noise and not the sump :lol: .

Managed to beat the hail and rain home, so all in all a good afternoon blat, and of course a good coffee at Jo Seager's.

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Mutter mutter mutter. My local WOF place has closed down and I had to go elsewhere. Due to time constraints and size of queues I decided to go to VTNZ at Jipchco Road in Sockburn. My advice - don't.

Was failed for WOF on grounds that left headlight did not kick light up to the left, i.e. the light profile on the tester was flat. It was not too high and not shining to the right, it just didn't rise to the left. This is the same light that has passed certification and seven previous WOF inspections. When I challenged the failure, the so and so told me that all of the other testers and certifier obviously didn't know the law/requirements. All this and VTNZ charges $61 for its WOFs. Mongrels.

So I headed to Braxton Car Lights and spent another $50 for a new light lens, fitted it and passed the retest. What has really riled me is the very reasonable comment made by the chap who did the retest, who indicated that failing a clubman type car for something like that is just plain silly, and that whoever did fail it was just exercising his small willy syndrome.

As it happens an acquaintance had his wife's little Toyota a couple of cars in front of me in the queue, and he was failed as well, as were two other vehicles between us. I will be voting with my feet and finding somewhere else.

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Tue May 15, 2018 8:45 am

I would try the garage on the corner of Saywers Arms Rd and Highstead rd in Casebrook. Nice people and sensible....used them several times.
Kitcars and VTNZ don't mix well.
7ish

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:42 pm

Thanks Evan, I will keep them in mind for next time.