Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

mudbasher
Paid Member

Re: Mudbasher's "Beast"

Post by mudbasher » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:51 pm

bzrse7en wrote:Good luck.
Make sure you write plenty of notes about your wire colours and what mods you have made and what pins you use. I'm wiring mine in now after I built it over a year ago. Most of my notes are good, but there is the odd thing I changed and didn't update the notes.
Print of the extra manual and put notes on it.
Do you need the relay board? You'll already have those relays and fuses in your car.
got the relays and fuses in the car but didn't make notes of wiring and the hole set up is messy so thought ill rewire the whole car nice and tidy.

mudbasher
Paid Member

Post by mudbasher » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:27 pm

ok quick update got relay board,Jimstim & ms2 built today and did a few basic voltage checks. started doing pwm idle mod, boost control mod & cas optical input wiring but need a few things to finish them off, Then i can power it all up and start loading the base tune :D I've put the boost control transistor above R38 & output through spr1(pin 3) but will have to check if this goes through the relay board or not.

mudbasher
Paid Member

Post by mudbasher » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:44 pm

been a while since last update. I believe I now have the megasquirt complete with all the inputs/outputs i want. Have had the car running and been for a short drive but runs pretty rough on current map. mat sensor arrived today so will fit it to the intake manifold at work tomorrow hopefully. 80% of the car has been rewired with only the wiper motor & boost controller remaining to be wired up again. I've ordered a ms knock sense so once that turns up I'll start road tuning it back into the beats it was and more :twisted: .

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:52 am

Sounds great, keep us informed about things, I'm particularly interested in the knock sense, as I have only relied on my ears and modified earmuffs for knock.
As long as you are careful 80% of the map can be tuned without worrying about knock.

Patrick

mudbasher
Paid Member

Post by mudbasher » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:44 pm

I'll keep you updated and may call on youre experience when I do the final tune.

mudbasher
Paid Member

Post by mudbasher » Thu May 08, 2014 8:57 pm

time for another update. wiring now complete and have done a few runs down the road, tune is now looking good but have a miss when hitting 10psi boost which is either spark blow out or noise in the ing input to the ingnitor pack. also have an erratic rev counter which is on it's own signal from the ms2 ecu so may have to go over that circuit to check i built it right. knock sense turned up the other day so have that all wired up to the ms2 just need to tune it in to the engine. so far more than pleased with the results and think it will be running better with more power than when on the factory ecu once it is tuned in and all the glitches are ironed out.

mudbasher
Paid Member

Post by mudbasher » Fri May 16, 2014 3:35 pm

finally got the miss sorted out it was a combination of noise in the coolant temp spiking and engaging the rev limit for cold engine & ing too far advanced at high load/revs. still can't get the rev counter to work not sure whats going wrong there. There is more power there now ,not that it needed it but more is always better in my mind anyway. will have to organize a day to put it on a dyno to finalize the ing map. anyone know of a good place to get the dyno tune done? or a tuner familiar with the mega-squirt ecu?

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Fri May 16, 2014 3:39 pm

Spec performance was hesitant, but agreed to take a look at my car after it developed a funny miss. It has a Megasquirt and they did a full tune which went really well. More power and smoother delivery... Although they were nervous about it, the guy that did it mentioned after the fact that it was pretty easy to work with.

Give them a call.

Cheers - N

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Fri May 16, 2014 8:33 pm

You might need a tacho interface off a mitsi. What ignition setup is this running again?
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sat May 17, 2014 10:11 am

Hey Simon, I had a chat with Spec performance, knowing Neil's (my old seven) had been there and was a straightforward tune.
The guy I talked to was still hesitant, he was pretty down on the product all round, they arn't very good, poor software, blah, blah, don't buy one. I figured he just had some bad experiences as the software is pretty good, the variable is the human factor. So, I said I had built my second one and he (or colleague) had tuned my first without issue. So he changes his tack and says most of their problems come from wiring, particularly the db37 connector. He said most are made by a guy in the North Island and his soldering on this connector is $hit.
If the guy is down on the product, you are going to have to sweet talk the guy first, drive there in your seven proving it hasn't got installer induced problems, maybe have a chat, buy something small from their shop, book the car in a week in advance and then do a friendly burn out as you leave.
I'm going to have to do the same thing in a year or so :roll:

I reckon the sellers of assembled MS are actually the problem, this allows people with some money, but no knowledge to buy one and without bothering to understand it, install it badly and then take it to a tuner without first doing their research and tuning it themselves to a reasonable standard. Basically cheque-book racers.
MS was supposed to be about learning and the journey and all that deep stuff.

Patrick