Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

nz_climber
Paid Member

Re: Aarons Mcgregor Mach 7

Post by nz_climber » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:57 pm

Time for a bit of an update.

The car has been running perfectly, been trying to get out in it when we can. Katrina has also started driving too, which is awesome as we both enjoy getting out and about!

But looks like winter has turned up so thought its time for some winter jobs.

First up was to give her a clean and sort the garage out!

Now for the real work to start. I have had 2 sets or seats in the car since I have had the car on the road and have never really been happy with either of them.

First set were Racepro RP1 Small seats. These were strong fibreglass seats but heavy. Problems included be extremely tight and just too uncomfortable in the hip area mainly. Also they had to be mounted very high in the car which didn't really help.

Next was a set of cheap bare fibreglass seats from trademe. We modified them to fit and to try make them stronger (they were way too flexible). Was never really happy with how strong they were, so added a back stay to the rear bulkhead which helped a lot but the head rest and shoulder supports where still not good. Anyway they needed a lot of work to and make them strong enough. Also they were just ugly and need a heap of work to smooth them over or get them covered.

So I have been looking into many options for many years now, most where dismissed due to the size or the cost of postage being more than the seats themselves!

Finally came up with a solution that I know will be more than strong enough, would fit and look good without costing a small fortune! So I got myself a set of Kirkey 47 series road race seats (from Cardwells in Auckland)

They seem to be strong, light, really well built and come with a nice comfortable removable padding/cover.

So here are some pictures
Old seats with duct tape covered padding

New Seats

Bit of a comparison

Had to do a bit of grinding to get them to fit

Here is the new seat sitting in place. Now just have to sort out mounting them and getting some new 6 point belts in there too.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:59 pm

ps Sorry the photos are not the best, taken from my phone.

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:25 pm

looks awesome Aaron.....I can still remember sitting in your car awhile back and thinking .....geez thats tight....(thought it was my fat ass).....

hey are you doing any of the Road and Track....see they have two goes at the back track coming up......should be fun......

we should get Jan and Katrina to drive aswell.....

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 am

Hey Matt

Yeah those were the Racepro seats that were very uncomfortable and tight that you sat in. No haven't been doing any Road and Track this year. Have been saving money for a trip to Europe at Christmas time and I really need to get my race licence to do any more events too

Looking at taking Katrina to the CCC trackday when that comes around as its a bit more laid back and has the very slow group so she can just cruise around to start with.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Finished fitting the drivers seat on Saturday just put back in my old harness for now as my new harnesses are in the post. Got it all back together just in time for a 1/4mile tarmac sprint on the runway at work on Sunday morning. Was really looking forward to see how the car would go as the motorsport club on base has some laser timing gear including lights etc!

Got 8 runs in all under 14sec with the fastest being 13.25 @ 173kmh

I am pretty happy with that, as the runway is very smooth, dusty and low grip. Fastest timeI got by just driving off the line, trying to launch the car just caused to much wheel spin and made it slower

For a comparison 2 cars were faster than me.
Fastest was a Toyota AE86 turbo charged (unsure of horsepower levels buts its quick) ran 13.03 @ 192kmh
Second was a Holden VZ V8 ute supercharged and over 400KW atw with more money spent on the engine than my complete car! ran 13.08 @ 189kmh (has previously run high 11s runs on a proper strip)

I was trading fastest times with the holden to start with until the AE86 showed up. I could get the power down a lot sooner than them, but the extra power was helping them at end of strip hence why they have much faster trap speeds.

Overall was great fun to see how the car compares to others

Now have to fit the new passengers seat in time for a trip over to hawkes bay in a few weeks time!

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:09 pm

Took the car out for a drive on the weekend, making the most of the great weather! Visited the herb farm cafe just up the road from Ashhurst, and my wife took some amazing photos

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:15 am

Looks great Aaron and those seats looks my nicer in the car than the others you had, summers coming :) Yay.
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Yeah they do look a heap better, really help finish the car off. Other good news is they are comfortable too. Did over 600 km in them over a weekend with no issues or sore spots at all.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:15 pm

Another great day out with the car yesterday. Went to the Constructors Car Club annual track day at Manfield.

It was Katrina's first time driving the car on track(in the slow group limited to 110 km on the straights). She was pretty nervous and her first run almost made her car sick! But she stuck with it and had another go after lunch which she started to enjoy towards the end. Then the last run she had a ball and is already working out what she has to do better next time! So proud of what she did improved over 30 sec over the day, a few more and I might be in trouble!

For my first session the track was wet and slippery, had 2 spins coming out of Higgins because of wheel spin trying to get the power down. Was a good learning exercise though learning to drive in the wet. Least I kept the car on the hard stuff, a few cars ended up stuck in the mud

After that the track started to dry and I stiffened up the shocks a little from my normal road settings and the car felt great and got quicker and quicker as the afternoon went on. On the last session I managed to string together a 3 quick laps within 0.5 sec which I am very happy with and knocked over 2.2 sec off my previous best down to a 1.25.2 even had to pass a lapped car on the fastest lap (previous best was 1.27.5). Only issue was the fuel light came on so called it a day to ensure I could get to BP down the road

Interesting was the results from my phone running racechrono (internal gps) and my 10hz gps data logger showed upto 0.7 sec difference in laptimes. Had my hopes up because the phone had my fastest lap at 1.24.5 (I think it put the extra time on the previous lap)

New 6 point harness and seats were amazing, so much more secure and stable let me just worry about driving.

Fuel light coming on was good to know it still works as I don't usually let it go that low, but still no surge with only a few litres left in the tank (put 33 litres into the 35 litres tank, most of the remaining would have been in the surge tank)

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:02 am

Great stuff Aaron, its really good (for you) if you can get "she who must be obeyed" interested in the racing.... it makes expensive purchases much easier to justify!!
7ish