The long search is finally over!! <3

Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

7alc

The long search is finally over!! <3

Post by 7alc » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:43 pm

Hey guys

I thought I better post something hehe - my long search is finally over and I've finally obtained a great 7! Many thanks to toppo - it's his old car, the Yellow Dixon. I will put up some pics of it as soon as the tonneaux cover is made up for it next week (just so there's something new to show). I felt a bit bad for buying it off you actually toppo - it really felt like I was driving off with your mrs when I left!!

I do have a few questions though. Why doesn't everyone drive these? OMG the fun, the experience, I never really dreamed hehe. I've been using it every day so far, I purchased it on the Thursday lunchtime and drove back up to Christchurch the same day. I probably made about 5 or 6 new friends doing so as well, and have done around 750km in it already. Hasn't missed a beat, and seems to be fine still. The only reason I stopped driving it yesterday and had to go home was because it was simply too hot outside, and my pasty white skin was burnt to a crisp hehe.

Which actually brings me to my second question. Is there some way of stopping people to come up and ask you about the car? lol. Not really a serious question of course - everyone treated me like I was their new best buddy and gave me detailed accounts of their particular experience with lotus 7's - mainly the fact they've wanted one, or know someone that wants one. It's much better than the reception my RX8 got / gets - there is a lot of undue hate thrown at that poor car, just for being a rotary. It's almost like engine racism - I won't go into detail but spit on the windscreen and passenger side windows isn't that nice to come back to when it's been parked in a car park all day.

I can't wait to start learning the roads over to the coast, and inland through Tekapo and stuff, although the thing I've noticed is that even just cruising along, this is just a whole new experience. Leg cramp? pfft. Sunburn? pfft. All very small prices to pay for something so glorious!

A few new experiences I... err... experienced:

Feeling the heat coming off a truck as I passed it
Being able to have a completely unobstructed view of the mountains and stuff like that takes it to a whole new level of enjoyment of the country (and is one of the primary reasons I wanted a 7 in the first place - I'm a bit of a hippy)
Hearing the sounds of town going on around you while you're parked at the lights waiting for them to change
Being able to have random 10 second conversations with people on the side of the road without needing to hang out the window to hear them
Being asked by little kids all of 7 or 8 if you can take them for a ride in the car (didn't know them from a bar of soap, one actually got off their bike and started walking towards the car)
Being approached in the friendliest way possible by numerous people, and talking with them like you've been their best mate for years
Having random things fall in your lap like stones and stuff after going over newly sealed road
Smelling the smells (good and bad) that make up the place you're driving through
Having two lighters and a pack of smokes fall out of your pocket directly onto the road and instantly gone, before you realise that having things in your pocket while driving isn't the best idea

So yeah that's my entry into the 7 game for now. I will be really keen to start going on some drives with some fellow Cantabrian 7 owners soon!

Best thanks to everyone who helped me decide through my numerous posts about trying to find a 7, and a very special thanks to the man, toppo himself, for allowing me to purchase this awesome machine from him. I'll make sure to keep you in the loop with everything that's done to it!

7ish
Paid Member

Re: The long search is finally over!! <3

Post by 7ish » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:20 pm

Great to hear..!
7ish

TheMagnificentSeven

Post by TheMagnificentSeven » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:27 pm

Glad to hear you got a car, have fun. I think mine is getting a bit too much dust on it ;)

7alc

Post by 7alc » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:41 am

hehe we will have to do something about that then - we've been having some awesome days here lately! I'd be keen to go for a cruise any time :)

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:49 am

Hey well done on the purchase, they certainly are a fun car to own.

Another experience I find is on the road, people tend to treat you like royalty in the fact they quite often give you room to pass, even pulling over to the side when you come up behind them. I get the complete opposite when driving Cossie, you get aggressive driving, people won't let you go by, its kinda funny.

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:54 am

Great you have got a nice car, and are already enjoying the 7 ownership!

We just completed a 3200km trip around the south island in ours, was awesome scenery and roads. Like you mentioned everyone wants to take a photo or talk about the car at every stop.

The person in the passenger seat is usually employed full time waving at kids and people staring at car (or us)

The smells are great but can be a worry at times (is that my brakes, clutch, exhaust etc or when you smell smoke but it is just someone burning rubbish)

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:56 am

One thing we have done is buy heaps of the matchbox caterhams......if kids come up and are generally interested in the car we give them one.....its awesome to see the look on their faces.....

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:59 am

Keep clear of cattle trucks.....
7ish

7alc

Post by 7alc » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:04 pm

lol cattle trucks, yeah, good point :)

flewy - I had a bunch of kids come up to the car on my first day with it, one had even jumped off his bike already and was asking for a ride. That would have been a good idea at that moment! Will have to have a look for some I think :)

nz_climber - awesome, that's exactly what I want to get into doing. I have 3 days off each week (work 4 10 hour days) and they're right in the middle of the week, so I plan to get a fair bit of k's done each weekend say at least over to the coast and bacl. Planning on going around the north island around easter some time, hopefully the weather is still all good then!

My sisters husband had a caterham over in England - he's about 6'4" and said it was an every day driver for him, the insane thing is that he drove it for about a year as an every day driver with no drivers seat haha, just a pillow behind his back. Tail bone of cast iron, I think!

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:48 pm

Congratulations 7alc. You are right about being the subject of visiting photographers. We were parked up outside the Fairlie Bakehouse this morning at about 10am buying a pie (as you do) and had a whole bus load of Asian tourists descend on the car, along with every passing European tourist camper van driver. The car with the bakehouse in the background were certainly very popular - that is until a brand new bright red F Type convertible pulled up beside us! It had the number plate "IMSEXY", with the plate frame reading "Cos I take my top off".

Frankly a new red F Type convertible is the one car I would be tempted to ditch Ladybird's 7 for.

Anyway enjoy your time in 7 heaven.