Hydro handbrake install...

Chassis, Brakes, Tyres, Interior, Exterior etc...

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Talkiet
Paid Member

Hydro handbrake install...

Post by Talkiet » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 am

So so so many conflicting bits of info on the Internet... I have a hydro handbrake that I'd like to put in to my car. I will leave the existing cable parking brake there as well. The brake system is dual circuit, discs front and back.

Current:

And here's my initial take at how to stick the brake in...

And here's the Aliexpress special brake (I'm prepared to change the cylinder if necessary)

Am I ok with my proposed install? Anything to watch for? Completely wrong?

Cheers - N

Boris67
Paid Member

Re: Hydro handbrake install...

Post by Boris67 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 pm

My only thought is - is there flow to the rear brakes when you press the foot brake! Or will your hydro brake just treat everything upstream of it as a reservoir?

Grippa

Post by Grippa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:09 pm

Can you make provisions for seperate Calipers and have an independant system altogether ? This is the only way I have found for a good set up other wise you can get mutable issues , spongey pedal , hydro leaver that moves when pedal is depressed , caliper that doesn’t release from the disc well , the list can go on and on.
I do note I havent set one up on a car with twin reservoirs but can’t se that changing any of the above

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Grippa wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:09 pm
Can you make provisions for seperate Calipers and have an independant system altogether ? This is the only way I have found for a good set up other wise you can get mutable issues , spongey pedal , hydro leaver that moves when pedal is depressed , caliper that doesn’t release from the disc well , the list can go on and on.
I do note I havent set one up on a car with twin reservoirs but can’t se that changing any of the above
I believe that's the best way to do it and if a simple approach doesn't work well enough then yes I'd consider it, but it's a lot more work and expense. I will make sure there's good spring pressure to ensure the hand brake retracts fully.

Cheers - N

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:49 pm

Installed inline last night and tested today. Works brilliantly. Prepared to replace the Chinese master cylinder if it gives any issues. Bleeding was a pain, even with a vacuum bleeder. I resorted to running a line from the bleed nipples at the rear to the master cyl reservoir at the front and just pumping through (foot and handbrake) in a circuit until it ran perfectly clear with no bubbles. That always works best for me.

Cheers N