repair kit for Sierra rear brakes?

Chassis, Brakes, Tyres, Interior, Exterior etc...

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

speleo
Paid Member

Re: repair kit for Sierra rear brakes?

Post by speleo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Give it a very light polish with brasso or similar, wash it off with meths, get yourself a tube of brake grease. And put it back together. I've seen way worse come out of calipers that weren't leaking.

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:34 pm

Cheers - A long google image search and reading the related posts to images of pistons with similar and worse wear convinced me that they were ok. I cleaned them with meths and just finished putting them back in. Just bleeding the brakes but taking a break from the sun.

Bleeding is a pain on systems with a brake balance bar. Should I just bleed both front and back at the same time?

Cheers - N

speleo
Paid Member

Post by speleo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:54 pm

To be honest we use a vacuum bleeder in the workshop. And when I bled the brakes on my car I just borrowed the bleeder from work.
A good alternative is to use a bottle half full of brake fluid, and a tube that fits over the bleed nipple, ( you could use two one for each end of the car) keep the end of the tube in the fluid, open the bleeder then just pump the pedal, don't let it run out of fluid, and I use a stick to hold the pedal down, after a couple, say 5 pumps, hold the pedal down and close the bleeders, do the other side and you should be good. If the pedal is spongy, put a clamp on each brake hose one at a time to see where the air is.

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:57 pm

I made one of the self bleeders but I guess I'll make another and have a crack at that...

Cheers - N

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks for this Neil, I'll try and get Repco to better that price, thou it isn't that bad considering price in the UK + post. I honestly thought these kits would be like Rocking horse $hit these days.